23 August 2016

If It Doesn't Sound Right, It May Not Be Right

19 Menachem Av 5776

I am 62 years old. I have been a kosher Jew for one-third of my life - a life which was dedicated from a very early age to a serious, ongoing and deep search for the truth. As a result, my internal truth-meter became very highly developed and, until today, it has never failed me. 

Truth be known, I think every real Jewish neshamah has such an internal truth-meter. It is honed and perfected through Torah learning. If you have been fortunate to sink your spiritual roots deep into authentic Torah, then your internal truth-meter should be most reliable.

I urge every one of you to tune in to your own internal truth-meter and do not be afraid to test every teacher. No matter who he is or how great his name, listen carefully and critically to what is being taught and measure it by what your truth-meter tells you. If you hear something that sets little alarm-bells going off in your head, don't dismiss the warning because the teacher has a big reputation. Even Moshe Rabeinu erred in his lifetime. 

I heard those alarm bells loud and clear just this morning. Examine the sources, focus on the big picture and see if reality bears out the purported facts.

Hamavin yavin.

7 comments:

  1. Devash, I'm inquiring (for the purpose of preventing mine, and other neshamos, from being spiritually poisoned) if you are referring to Rav Mendel Kessin's latest video shiur?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll know without my telling you.

      Delete
    2. Just curious here. Why 'spiritually' poisoned? Whether we agree (which I find it hard to) or not how does it actually affect us. It's only a theory.

      Judi

      Delete
  2. Genoism, you must be out of your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all conjecture, whoever it's from. I was alarmed by what he was saying as well, but he was only giving his opinion, not saying that he was necessarily correct.

    Anona


    ReplyDelete
  4. Another good truth meter is your spouse. If you have a good working spiritual relationship with your spouse then talk to them and bouncing off what you think or hear. This is of course after talking to Hashem in Personal Prayer.

    ReplyDelete